Senior Django/Python Web Developer, National Journal
A full-time, ongoing job with National JournalApply Now
- National Journal
- 2 weeks, 5 days ago
- Full Time
- Additional Info
- Remote Position
- Job Posting is in English
Looking for a side quest?Apply Now
National Journal seeks a Senior Django/Python Web Developer to help maintain and enhance our membership-based suite of web and email offerings with editorial, research, and data visualization components, all using modern tools and platforms.
The company is following a hybrid in-person/remote work schedule, currently 2 days/week on-site and 3 days telework.
The Senior Web Developer will be a key member of our team of developers and act as the architect of major digital projects while helping to ensure that the work completed by the development team is stable and efficient. This is not a management position, but responsibilities will include mentorship of junior colleagues.
Compensation: $130,000+, commensurate with experience
As a Senior Web Developer, you will:
- Architect, build, test and deploy a wide range of web-based tools, developed in Django and Python, that National Journal's members use every day in their jobs as government affairs professionals and policy advocates
- Help maintain large datasets in a variety of formats (PostgreSQL, MySQL, APIs) drawing from both internal and third-party content and data sources
- Make improvements to Ada, the custom content management system we use internally
- Tackle a full-stack mix of back-end and front-end tasks, with a focus on back-end work
- Be well-informed about trends in software development tools, frameworks, programming languages, and workflow, and arrive with opinions you are eager to discuss
- Collaborate with our systems engineering partners on DevOps matters, such as improving application performance
- Be willing to learn a sophisticated technical stack and (eventually) demonstrate ownership of our codebase and infrastructure
- Take part in conversations with product team colleagues about business requirements
- Help train, mentor, and teach junior colleagues and non-technical coworkers alike. (Please note: This is not a management position.)
As a candidate:
- Experience with some of the following technologies is a plus, but not required: Microsoft Azure, Linux systems administration, Vue.js, TypeScript, Elasticsearch, Docker, PostgreSQL, Chargify, Neo4j or other graph databases, Jenkins, New Relic, Salesforce, D3.js, Redis, Sentry, Marketo, Celery/RabbitMQ, or WordPress.
- You're interested in government and elections: The idea of getting immersed in campaign finance data, election visualizations, and politics is compelling to you (rather than a turn-off). You don't have to be a wonk to be effective, but as keepers of the data, becoming experts in the minutiae is essential.
- You have experience with large projects: You've created significant software projects from scratch, or at least large components of one, and demonstrated that you can do quality work under a deadline. You make decisions with the big picture in mind, have a point-of-view about good software architecture, and can guide other developers when needed. You can quickly find your way around a complex codebase.
- You place an emphasis on quality: In your work, you demonstrate best practices for software development and reinforce good habits that promote quality as part of a team. You're accustomed to writing great documentation, doing peer code review, crafting automated tests, watching performance, and taking advantage of tools that maintain consistent code across team members. You are organized, focused, and detail-oriented.
- You communicate and work well with others: You exhibit good communications skills and collaboration habits, both written and verbally, by providing accurate time and effort estimates, creating good requirements and documentation, and working to ensure the team meets agreed-upon deadlines. You are comfortable working with product and project managers to plan weekly sprints, capable of prioritizing and undertaking multiple projects at once, and experienced with Agile development methodologies. When needed, you are cool under pressure.
- You demonstrate good judgment: Colleagues can count on you to apply critical thinking to tasks and find creative ways to solve problems. You consider both short-term and long-term implications when making decisions.
- You'll bring something new to the team: We value having a team with diverse skills and experiences. Do you have a background in accessibility technologies, robotics, or AI-generated jokes? Are you active in a local user group, open source effort, or side project of your own? Passion for learning new things (whether technology-related or not) is most welcome.
- You value a healthy work-life balance: You keep high standards and work hard, yet know when to take breaks, switch gears, and unplug, with the ability to manage your time effectively to preserve those boundaries.
- Prodigious work ethic and spirit of generosity
- A full course of the COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment at National Journal
- Active contributor to a diverse and inclusive workplace
More Full Time, Short Term Contract Jobs
HR Coordinator (Contract)
- 2 days, 12 hours ago
- Full Time
- 0 - 6 Months
Contract Python Engineer - £500-600/day - Outside IR35 /UK - ClimateTech
- Remote Position
- Startup Company
- 4 months, 1 week ago
- Full Time
- 0 - 6 Months